The Food Allergen Testing Market is Projected to Reach USD 760.7 Million by 2022, at a CAGR of 6.8% From 2016 to 2022
The food allergen testing market size is projected to reach USD 760.7 Million by 2022, at a CAGR of 6.8% from 2016 to 2022. The market is driven by labelling-compliance in various food industries, growing allergic reactions among consumers, consumer complaints (food recalls), implementation of stringent food safety regulations, and international trade of food materials.
The global market, based on type, has been segmented as peanut & soy, wheat, milk, egg, tree nuts, seafood, and others which include sulfites and other cereals. The peanut & soy segment is projected to be the largest and fastest growing in food allergen market through 2022. The high occurrence of food allergy in children and adults due to peanut & soy allergen has driven the market.
The food allergen testing market, on the basis of technology, is segmented into polymerase chain reaction (PCR)-based, immunoassay-based/ELISA (Enzyme linked immunosorbent assay), and others, which include LC-MC/MS, test kits, and other chromatographic technologies. The immunoassay-based technology is often used in food allergen testing. Immunoassays are analytical measurement systems that use antibodies as test reagents. Antibodies are proteins produced in the serum of animals in response to foreign substances (antigens) and specifically bind the substance that elicited their production. Polymerase chain reaction (PCR)-based is the second largest technology used to detect allergen in the food. The testing market through immunoassay-based/ELISA (Enzyme linked immunosorbent assay) technologies is largely driven by its low cost, and accurate & quick results, among other advantages.
The global market, based on food tested, is categorized into bakery & confectionery, infant food, processed food, dairy products & its alternatives, seafood & meat products, and others, which include savory items, sauce, and other additives. The processed food segment is projected to be the largest and the fastest growing market in the food allergen testing market. The processed food segment is incorporated by a wide number of products such as snacks, packaged products, convenience food products, and ready-to-cook food products and there are huge number of processed food allergy cases and complaints from the consumers. This in turn has led the market for processed food testing to be the largest in the food allergen testing.
The global market was dominated by the European region in 2015. Food allergen policies have been strengthened by the contributed efforts from Control Laboratories (CLs), National reference laboratories (NRLs), and EU Reference Laboratories (EURLs), and European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAAACI), implementation of food safety regulations, large number of consumer complaints, and labelling compliance has driven the European food allergen testing market. North America is the fastest growing food allergen testing market. The growing food allergic patients and the international trading of food materials in the North American countries such as the U.S. have propelled the labeling requirement and allergen confirmation in the foods.
Lack of food control infrastructure & resources in developing countries and lack of awareness about food safety regulations among food manufacturers are the restraining factors in this market. Some of the leading players include SGS S.A. (Switzerland), Intertek Group plc (U.K.), TUV SUD Psb Pte. Ltd. (Germany), ALS Limited (Australia), and Eurofins Scientific SE (Luxembourg). In 2016, Intertek announced its collaboration with China Quality Certification Center (CQC) formalizing their cooperation in national certifications, such as China Compulsory Product Certification (CCC), as well as international certifications. In the same year, Intertek acquired the Italian company Food International Trust (“FIT-Italia”), which provides a wide range of assurance, testing, and certification services. In 2014, ALS Limited (Australia) acquired Kingmoor Technical Services Limited (England). The acquisition would help in expanding food and pharmaceutical testing in the U.K. It would provide a wider range of testing services, including nutritional, vitamins & additives, pesticides, and allergen testing and a platform to expand geographically into Scotland and England. In 2015, Intertek Group Plc (U.K.) expanded its testing and consulting services to support Non-Intentionally Added Substance (NIAS) regulations to ensure food safety.
To speak to our analyst for a discussion on the above findings, click Speak to AnalystFood Allergen Testing Market - Global Forecast to 2022
The years considered for the study are as follows:
- Base year – 2015
- Estimated year – 2016
- Projected year – 2022
- Forecast period – 2016 to 2022
The objectives of the report
- To define, segment, and project the size of the global food allergen testing market on the basis of source, technology, food tested
- To understand the structure of the food allergen testing market by identifying its various subsegments
- To provide detailed information about the key factors influencing the growth of the market (drivers, restraints, opportunities, and industry-specific challenges)
- To strategically analyze micromarkets with respect to individual growth trends, future prospects, and their contribution to the total market
- To analyze the opportunities in the market for stakeholders and provide a competitive landscape of market trends
- To project the size of the market and its submarkets, in terms of value, with respect to four regions (along with their respective key countries): North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the Rest of the World (RoW)
- Major regions were identified, along with countries contributing the maximum share
- Secondary research was carried out to determine the number of food allergen cases and incidence in regions such as North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and RoW; trends for food testing industry, and their contribution
- The market research is carried out through secondary sources such as World Allergen Organization (WAO), Codex Alimentaurius Commission (CODEX), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), The European Federation of National Associations of Measurement, Testing, and Analytical Laboratories (EUROLAB), and Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), while their market share in respective regions have been determined through both, primary and secondary research. The research methodology includes the study of annual and financial reports of top market players, as well as interviews with industry experts (such as CEOs, VPs, directors, and marketing executives) for key insights (both, quantitative and qualitative) for the food allergen testing market.
The stakeholders for the report are as follows:
- Manufacturers, importers & exporters, traders, distributors, and suppliers of equipment, reagents, chemicals, and other related consumables
- Food allergen testing solutions providers
- Food allergen testing laboratories
- Food processors
- Food manufacturers
- Government and research organizations
- Trade associations and industry bodies
Scope of the Report:
This research report categorizes the food allergen testing market based on source, food tested, technology, and region.
Based on Source, the market has been segmented as follows:
- Peanut & soy
- Others (sulfites and other cereals)
Based on Technology, the market has been segmented as follows:
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR)
- Immunoassay based /ELISA (Enzyme linked immunosorbent assay)
- Others (LC-MC/MS, test kits, and other chromatographic equipment)
Based on Food Tested, the market has been segmented as follows:
- Bakery & confectionery
- Infant food
- Processed foods
- Dairy products & alternatives
- Seafood and meat products
- Others (savory items, sauce, and food additives)
Based on Region, the market has been segmented as follows:
- North America
- RoW (Brazil, Argentina, and South Africa)
If you are interested in this publication and you would like to see more of our publications, please do not hesitate to request a sample of them.
We will contact you and help to choose publications our best for you.